May 19, 2009

austin neighborhood: south congress

On my day off I headed down to South Congress for lunch with a friend. I went early so that I could eat at more than one place! For brunch, I ended up at CrepesMille, a retrofitted Airstream trailer with a small but tasty menu of filled crepes. I had the crab with fresh greens and peanut sauce. Yum. Later I had a fried avocado with coleslaw, wrapped in a tortilla, also served from a retrofitted trailer. Gotta love southern food, especially on South Congress.


The SoCo neighborhood has undergone quite a facelift in the last few years. I love the steel planters and low-water plants that have come to define Austin landscape design.

I also strolled through the San Jose Hotel grounds, for old-time's sake, particularly admiring the burbling waterlily pond.

The 04 Lofts (named after zip code 78704 - not just a zip code, a way of life, as the bumper stiicker says) are a great example of new, green, interesting living spaces.

Hope your week is filled with fun foods and sights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke, Austin looks sooo lovely, a world away from the daily grime of NYC. I hope that you are enjoying your transition back, and I cant wait to see some more of your Austin flowers!