July 20, 2008

sigh of relief

Last week I finally rolled into Austin, my adopted hometown, to scorching hot temperatures and warm hugs from so many friends. Ahhhh. It's the first time I've been back since Kyle and I moved to New Zealand about a year and a half ago.

I had trepidations about how I would feel - had I built it up in mind? Would I be disappointed in the real 2008 version of Austin? Had all my friends moved on and gotten too busy to find time for me?

The first few days I drove around town visiting familiar streets, shops and people. It was all still there, and better... while I was away Austin had blossomed into a vibrant, cosmopolitan city. The day I left it had just been a town. Sure, there have been casualties and changes, but for the most part exciting opportunities seem to be popping up all over. I've reconnected with friends that I haven't spoken to the whole time I've been away, and tears well up in my eyes when I think about how awesome the community, my community, is here. I've missed you Austin!

So, forgive me if this week is light on posts. I'm enjoying myself so much... but don't worry, I'm taking pictures of all my adventures, and I'll be back soon with so much to share.

Photo from here.

No comments: